Latin Vergilius, Virgilius, a Roman clan name of unknown meaning.
The name of a 1st C BC Roman poet.
Renewed popularity of the poet during the Renaissnance contributed to the use of the name in Italy in the 16th C. Vergilius or Virgilius was also sometimes used to Latinize the Irish name Fergal.
- ● 776 Uirgilius (nom) FRA-XXXL 4
- ● 1590 Vergille RWC p. 14;
1593 Vergille ibid. p. 27
- ● 1522x1532 Virgilii (gen) DSF p. 52, 35,
Virgilius (nom) ibid. p. 52, 35;
1527 Virgilij (gen) Rome1527 p. 88,
Virgilius (nom) ibid. p. 83
- ● 1513x1521 Virgilio LeoX p. 22
- The Netherlands
- ● 709 Virgilius (nom) OrkGZ no. 2
Cite as: S.L. Uckelman. "Virgil". In S.L. Uckelman, ed. The Dictionary of Medieval Names from European Sources, Edition 2020, no. 1. http://dmnes.org/2020/1/name/Virgil.