A hypocoristic of any of various names beginning with Old Frankish id, of uncertain origin but perhaps related to Old Icelandic ið 'work, business, occupation', per Morlet.
The name of a 12th C French saint.
The name is sometimes used as an anglicization of Old Irish Íte, the name of a 6th C Irish saint.
- ● 1597x1598 Ida BoonenGes p. 388
- ● 1340xc1450 Ida (nom) CovGuild-1 p. 34
- ● 1589 Ida AuFr Enserinck
- ◑ c823 Idina (nom) irminon-vol2 81, Palatiolum
- ● 1248 Yda (nom) hennes-vol1 126
Cite as: S.L. Uckelman. "Ida". In S.L. Uckelman, ed. The Dictionary of Medieval Names from European Sources, Edition 2017, no. 1. http://dmnes.org/2017/1/name/Ida.